Buy everything With Integrity

You know, usually I don't get involved in this kind of thing because it's simply, well, just too hard to coordinate. This email made it sound like such coordination of individual efforts would be likely to succed because it focuses on one, particularly monomaniacal oil company; Exxon Mobile.

Snopes has a rational explanation of why the Oil industry is logically setup to bypass any efficacy from a simply individual, public stance. Remember that the Sunoco apartheid related boycott worked a little because governments around the world were exerting pressure on South Africa's leaders as well.

Anyhow, here's a snippet of the email. I really really like the coolishly silly
amiga who sent it to me (She's one of my Boogrrrl's friend's mom.) I hope she reads in my reply that I don't want her to leave me off her mail list. And, I'll tell ya, researchin' this was not just an embarrassing hoot, I was reminded of why I personally avoid Exxon stations: their resistance to diverting even a small part of their R&D focus from fossil fuels.

My boycott may not help anything but me to feel better, but that's the most I can do at this point in my life.
Here! 's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one*), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.

It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to,at least, ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!



* That right there dates the message as old. In case you're as interested as I was, here's about the only thing a couple of quick Google's found on one Kerry Lyle, Director, Research Coordinator
.

I wonder what he thinks of that email...



Comments

  1. Hi,

    Yeah, this is typical spam; I received it at least once a couple years ago. It's just one I happen to agree with in principle and personal practice: Although I suspect MY personal boycott has little effect on such a corporate monster, I'm not willing to give money to such folks, any more than I intend to support the Xian Right by buying their books. If I had a choice, I wouldn't support the warmongers with tax money either, but payroll taxes without any ability to designate where I want them to go make that rather difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . but payroll taxes without any ability to designate where I want them to go make that rather difficult.

    Dude, totally. The only way we've got to affect those are via voting in people who will change the budgets effectively. That's why I'm not thrilled about any of the fall candidates completely. For all the good and rational consideration one'll give some piece of legislation, he'll give another piece party-line support, and still another he'll vote some ideological or personal perspective that crosses some Constitutional line: Gun Control for my dawg, Sherrod, and Abortion Abolition for Mike DeWine.

    I don't know which one in practice is more distasteful to me from a candidate. {shakin'head} Well, I guess I do since, I'm still planning on voting for Brown.

    But it's DeW's support for W that's pushed me to certainty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts