Keep Hope Alive

Some day maybe there will exist a well-informed, well considered, and yet fervent public conviction that the most deadly of all possible sins is the mutilation of a child's spirit, for such mutilation undercuts the life principle of trust without which every human act, may it feel ever so good and seem ever so right, is prone to perversion by destructive forms of conscientiousness.
I wish I could fully explain why this quote, this idea, is so important to me, personally. It might also make clear why I don't call my blog stupid fuckin' sick bastard ignorant deserve-to-die Die DIE irresponsible human scum.

Silly Humans just seems so much more accessible and forgiving, eh. {-;


The following is another Erik Erikson quote*. One which I used to have posted in large letters on my locker at the factory where I worked before starting college at age 24.

Hope is both the earliest and the most indispensable virtue inherent in the state of being alive. If life is to be sustained hope must remain, even where confidence is wounded, trust impaired.
It is my greatest hope that one day I will look back and say, "I made it! My hope wasn't just a lie until I die!!!"

The latter came in one of those TQ emails I get. Despite the fact that I'm not likely to ever sign up for their products and services, their emails do give me some nice reminders as to how I can keep hope alive.



* Both are prominently listed on the site to which this post's title is linked.

Comments

Popular Posts