Crikey! A Creed!

And I found it via the ever nearly-silent but almost always-deadly Darwin's Dagger.

From PZ Myers via TooManyTribbles

An atheist's creed

I believe in time,
matter, and energy,
which make up the whole of the world.

I believe in reason, evidence and the human mind,
the only tools we have;
they are the product of natural forces
in a majestic but impersonal universe,
grander and richer than we can imagine,
a source of endless opportunities for discovery.

I believe in the power of doubt;
I do not seek out reassurances,
but embrace the question,
and strive to challenge my own beliefs.

I accept human mortality.

We have but one life,
brief and full of struggle,
leavened with love and community,
learning and exploration,
beauty and the creation of
new life, new art, and new ideas.

I rejoice in this life that I have,
and in the grandeur of a world that preceded me,
and an earth that will abide without me.

RAmen amigos y 'migas!

Comments

  1. Oh, I LIKE this! It says it all, perfectly. Thanks for sharing it, MB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dang! A creed. Does this mean we are a religion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like blueberry, I'm not really into the whole Creed thing but, like Wren, I agree with what it says.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola all!

    I'm not much of a creeder either, as I imagine neither is ol' PZ. If you have to have a thing to hold onto, though, this is one I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always found it somewhat comforting, almost *more* wondrous, to believe that there is no God--that everything just happened. Of course, as an agnostic, I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it Truly is, Frog! I don't worry 'bout Either was. If there is some goddy thing created our Uni, then Groovy. I see no reason to think it, though.

    Good to read ya again frogmigo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you guys all "devout atheists?"

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hardly devout, Stever. Soon's I find me a God that's a Fan of C-Town's Sports, I'll worship It to High Heaven!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read it at his site and told him it worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The beauty about being an atheist and having a creed is that it's one you've chosen yourself and not had crammed down your throat by hell threatening clerics. You keep as long as it works for you, or until you come up with something better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not seek out reassurances,
    but embrace the question,
    and strive to challenge my own beliefs.


    That part especially works for me, Pop. Or, well, I mean I'm needing to keep working on that part. Alas, 'tis true.

    As is your point 'bout it working 'til you can develop something better, double D. Glad you posted this, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't believe in creeds or isms. Isms in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an ism - he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon: "I don't believe in Beatles - I just believe in me". A good point there. Of course, he was the Walrus. I could be the Walrus.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Walrus, eh? I'm more like the Sea Lion.. err, sea turtle? sea cucumber, maybe. Just don't call me the Egg Man. That'd crack me up!

    {sigh}

    '->

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good one! Appears to be modelled after the Nicene Creed Definitely going in the quotes folder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts